My mind is not a clear blue sea of serenity, sometimes I get entangled with the voice inside my head. I think but I don’t overthink. I have been blessed with a mind that finds solace in books and art and if nothing works then I go off to sleep. Overthinking kills! This is one thing that I learned myself. My friend, Z, is always entangled in her thought-loops. You say something to her and that thing resonates in her mind for days. Why did she say this to me? What will happen if I change? She gets so affected with the comments that she finds it difficult to sleep as well. Last week, when I called her, she started crying over the phone because she couldn’t sleep for two days and was feeling depressed. I understood her situation and told her a Zen story that I always tell myself whenever I am in distress.
Two Monk and a Woman
Once upon a time, a senior monk and a junior monk were travelling together. At one point, they found a river with strong current. As they were preparing to cross the river, they saw a very beautiful woman crying besides the river. The young woman wanted to cross the river and asked if they could help her cross to the other side. The two monks glanced at each other as they had taken vows not to touch a woman.
Then, without a word, the older monk picked up the woman and carried her across the river.
The younger monk couldn’t believe what had just happened. After rejoining his companion, he was speechless, and an hour passed without a word between them.
Two more hours passed, then three, finally the younger monk could contain himself any longer, and blurted out “As monks, we are not permitted a woman, how could you then carry that woman on your shoulders?”
The older monk looked at him and replied, “Brother, I put her down on the other side of the river, why are you still carrying her?”
We all go through with unwanted memories, painful experiences, regrets, and embarrassment but if you keep thinking about it – your mind will turn into a pressure cooker. We can choose to let go that experience and move forward or we can live in past and exhaust our energy. All the problems in the world are created by people who overthink every situation. We create it in our mind through years and years of overthinking. If you are an overthinking addict, then it is time to stop it immediately. Overthinking kills your productivity and your life. Want a scientific research to prove it then read it here.
Here are 17 Quotes to read when you are overthinking!
- “We are dying from over thinking. We are slowly killing ourselves by thinking about everything. Think. Think. Think. You can never trust the human mind anyway. It’s a death trap.” – Anthony Hopkins
- “We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.” – Albert Einstein
- “There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.” – William Shakespeare
- “Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it.” – Henry Ford
- “If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done.” – Bruce Lee
- “Stop thinking, and end your problems.” – Lao Tzu
- “Too often we… enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.” – John F. Kennedy
- “No way of thinking or doing, however ancient, can be trusted without proof.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “A real decision is measured by the fact that you’ve taken a new action. If there’s no action, you haven’t truly decided.” — Tony Robbins
- “Better to be without logic than without feeling.”- Charlotte Bronte
- “What we think, we become.” — Buddha
- “It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” – Aristotle
- “Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action comes, stop thinking and go in.” – Napoléon Bonaparte
- “Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too.” – Voltaire
- “If you believe that your thoughts originate inside your brain, do you also believe that television shows are made inside your television set?” – Warren Ellis
- “The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.” – Alice Walker
- “You can’t be that kid standing at the top of the waterslide, overthinking it. You have to go down the chute.”-Tina Fey
Do you overthink every situation? What is your favorite quote from the above?
Have a nice week ahead!